Yes, you need insurance in New York, to register a vehicle in NY State you must have New York State issued automobile liability insurance coverage. else the DMV department can suspend your vehicle registration as well as a driver license. So, overcome from this situation you need Insurance as –
According to NY law requires that you must have the auto liability insurance coverage in which the minimum amount of liability coverage is as follows: (according to current law)
- $10,000 for property damage for a single accident
- $25,000 for bodily injury and $50,000 for death for a person involved in an accident
- $50,000 for bodily injury and $100,000 for death for two or more people in an accident
Not only this your insurance coverage must remain in effect, as well as registration is valid even you are using or not the vehicle (There are some exceptions in case of Motorcycles insurance / Bike Insurance). And –
- The New York State insurance coverage, issued by a company licensed by the NYS Department of Financial Services and certified by NYS DMV. (Out-of-state insurance is never acceptable in NY State Law)
- The insurance in NY, coverage issued in the name of the vehicle registrant, and remain in the name of the registrant at all times.
You also need the Insurance when you are going to register the vehicle, the DMV department requires auto liability insurance to register a vehicle in NY state. After getting the insurance done the Insurance company will issue proof of insurance in two ways which help you to get registered the vehicle.
- The insurance company will give you two original NYS Insurance ID Cards or provide you with access to your digital electronic NYS Insurance ID Card as well.
- Also, send an electronic notice of insurance coverage to the DMV (your insurance agent or broker cannot file this notice). The NYS Insurance Identification Cards and the electronic notice of insurance together verify your insurance coverage. So, you need both.
You must have to register your vehicle within 180 days of the effective date mentioned on your insurance ID card. Bring one copy or form of your Insurance Identification Cards with you. The DMV office will keep the paper card. Keep the other paper card with the vehicle as your proof of insurance. Anyone operating your vehicle must be able to provide proof of insurance in New York while they are operating the vehicle as demanded.